As I was cleaning my apartment today in preparation for my
departure from Norway on Tuesday morning, I got to the entrance of my apartment
that has dried and dirty footprints from my shoes. I’ve got two pairs of shoes—an
American pair and a Norwegian pair—and I couldn’t help but feel a little
nostalgic.
I knew in my soles that these would be the shoes I’d take to
Norway. I’ve had a pair of shoes like this before, but I wore them for almost
an entire year before they started falling apart. Because of all the walking I’ve
done since I got here, I’ve worn the soles down to nothing in some places, and
the white parts of the sole have actually fallen out of the shoes.
Come to think of it, these shoes have gone through every leg
of my European journey. In August, they walked the streets of Oslo when I first
arrived in Norway and took me through the biggest city I’d ever seen. In
October, they took me across Belgium to the city of Bruges, striding over
cobblestone streets to view windmills and towers. Later in October, they
slipped their way through the largest city I’ve ever enter—London—and I walked
in the paths of kings! In November, I realized how much I took my shoes for granted
as I walked through Auschwitz and saw an entire room full of shoes stripped from Jewish prisoners.
If I had to tie this post up in a nice bow, I’d say that you shouldn’t take your shoes for granted—think of all the places you’ve been, and now think of all the other people (and shoes) that have walked there before you. I’ve walked in the footsteps of millions of people, nobility and peasants, old and young. The idea is almost too much to wrap my mind around.
No comments:
Post a Comment