It’s already been almost two weeks since I went to Poland,
so I’d better write about it before I start losing track of the stories that I
took from there.
I arrived in Poland on Thursday, November 7 quite late at
night—late for me, anyway, because I’ve been going to bed at 11:00 or 12:00 at
night like an old man for the last month or two. Once I reached Norway and
started posting pictures and statuses on Facebook about being here, my Polish
friend, Marta, invited me to come to Poland, and we planned my trip for the
beginning of November. Marta and I worked together at a bible camp outside my hometown
called Upper Missouri Ministries in 2007; she was the international counselor
for the summer, but after the summer was finished, I figured I’d never get to
see her again, what with the distance and all. Lo and behold, though, here I am
on her doorstep. She was waiting there at the Krakow airport for me with her
brother, Jakub, and we took her parents’ car back to her hometown of Katowice.
For years and years, I’ve thought that Katowice was this
sweet little Polish town of a few thousand people, like a close-knit community
where the old lady next door makes delicious baked goods and brings them over
to your house. Again—Kirby was wrong. Katowice actually has a couple hundred thousand people, and the city of
Katowice is quite the bustling place, as cars rush past at all hours. Poland is
divided into several smaller pieces, much like the United States, but Katowice
is one of the main industrial hubs in its “state.” This particular part of
Poland is well known for its coal mining operations and industry, and Marta
explained that her area of the country makes a good amount of money for the
country as a whole.
I caught up as much as I could with Marta on Thursday night,
and we said Friday would be the hard day of the vacation: the tour of
Auschwitz. We had breakfast at her apartment and drove to Auschwitz, taking
back-roads to see the countryside of Poland where we did, in fact, run across
of those few little villages that I thought Katowice was. Friday was not an
enjoyable day—interesting, but not enjoyable. I’ll do a separate post about
this, I think.
It turns out, though, that Marta’s parents invited us to
dinner with them for a real Polish
meal. Getting to her parents’ apartment, we started playing with Bobek, Marta’s
adorable, whiny cat. Everyone was rushing around the apartment—bringing plates,
bringing silverware, bringing glasses—and I volunteered to help, but they kept
saying, “Nie nie nie nie nie” (“No no no no no”).
The dinner was really nice, and it wasn’t outside of my
comfort zone, by any means. They had skinned potatoes and boiled them, and a
side of sauerkraut with bacon mixed into it; the main course, however, was the
most foreign to me: a flattened pork chop rolled into a burrito shape with all
sorts of fixings rolled into it. It was really very good, especially after
walking through Auschwitz for the day.
To the Wagner family: Dziękuję za piękny czas w Polsce.
No comments:
Post a Comment