This post is certainly long overdue, but things got pretty
hectic at ACN for the past week. On October 14 while I was in London, I had my
students turn in their papers to the office assistant at the school; as soon as
I hit the ground in Norway again and made it back to my apartment, I started
grading these 70-odd papers.
As for my trip to London, I think it went pretty well, all
withstanding. Getting to and from London wasn’t really as big of a hassle as I’d
imagined it to be, but getting around in the city was a little difficult, since
I’m so stubborn.
On the afternoon of October 12, I got a ride to the Rygge
airport by someone from ACN. I got to the airport a couple of hours before my
plane was set to depart, and there wasn’t any issue in the airport (although
the ticket counter attendant said, “Have a nice flight,” to which I replied, “You,
too!”).
I chose to fly with an airline called Ryanair again, the
same airline I used to get to Belgium. The problem with Ryanair is that you don’t
fly into the main airports of big European cities like Brussels or London—you fly
into smaller airports that are usually an hour’s travel away. For my trip to
Bruges in Belgium, I had to fly into a place called Charleroi, which was about
an hour by bus from big train hub in Brussels; similarly, my trip to London
took me to Stansted airport, which is a two-hour bus ride into London. Even though I had to take a bus into London from Stansted, my total airfare for this trip was $42. Yes. $42.
I could have taken a train from the airport to the center of
London where I was staying, and that would have cut my travel time in half,
really. There are trains that go from Stansted straight into the Liverpool
Street tube station, and from there, I could have taken the tubes all the way
to my hotel. I didn’t take the tubes because I had printed walking directions
from one particular bus station to my hotel, and I figured that would be
simpler than trying to go through the tubes and learn the tube-routes, having just stepped into the city.
Walking around London on a Saturday night is quite
interesting, as there are people everywhere.
Of course, being it was a Saturday, everyone was standing in the streets,
standing outside of pubs and taverns smoking, or waiting in line to get into
the big London clubs. I started reading my map, and I started walking, avoiding
the crowds where I could. Instead of going straight to my hotel, I ended up
wandering into Trafalgar Square, and I knew I was in the wrong place. What
Google Maps claimed was a 45-minute walk from Victoria Coach Station to my
hotel quickly turned into a 2-hour trial by fire, taking wrong turns,
backtracking, walking (terror-stricken) through a pitch-black Green Park. I
tried flagging down a taxi after simply giving up on getting to my hotel, but
none of them would stop for me—so I kept walking.
I finally got to my hotel on Charlotte Street after walking
nearly 2.5 miles from the Victoria Coach Station. I had already made my hotel
reservation online, and I printed the confirmation and brought it with me—only,
when I got to the address listed for the hotel, there wasn’t a hotel at that address. There were no signs that I
could see, and I stood there, defeated. I saw a few English gents in cooks’
clothing standing outside a pub that served “gourmet hot dogs,” and I told them
my plight. (“Y’walked all’uh way from Vitoria? Yer fookin’ crazy, man!”) One of
them bounced down from the pub’s entryway and buzzed the door at 68 Charlotte
Street, and a very nice Indian man came down the stairs and took my hotel
confirmation.
The man’s name was Kumar, and he walked me away from 68 Charlotte Street to an
entirely different building, which was my hotel. From the look of it, the
building had once been an apartment building, but it was renovated to become an
apartment-hotel hybrid (the place was even called an “aparthotel”).
The hotel was really…interesting. There were four floors to
the building, and I was on the first floor; on each floor, there were four “hotel
rooms,” two shared bathrooms, and a small kitchen. On the fifth floor, there
was a fully-stocked kitchen and a dining room—each morning, you could go into
this kitchen and cook whatever food was in the fridge, but then you did your
own dishes once you were done. It really was an interesting setup, and it did
save me a little money in the long run, not having to buy breakfast for seven
days.
I hardly ever saw other people, but I certainly heard them—the
walls were paper thin. I was lying in bed on the first night, and I heard
someone cough in the next room, but it sounded like he was sitting at the foot
of my bed. If I were staying in London for a couple of nights, this place would
have been ideal—just a place to rest my head after a long day of sightseeing.
Staying there for seven nights, though, seemed like a stretch. Plus, if I were
traveling with someone, there’s no way I would stay in any aparthotel again.
The place was in a central location, and everything I wanted to see in London
was within walking distance of my hotel (almost
everything), so in the end, I really sacrificed comfort for location. Most
people would probably say I should have taken the tubes more, but really, I
didn’t mind the walking, and my feet never hurt throughout the entire seven
days of walking I did.
That first night in London, I had no idea where I was going—again,
a 45-minute walk turned into 2.5 hours of mindless, panicked wandering. Three
days later, I was telling people directions. It really took me by surprise how
quickly and easily I learned my way around the city. Because I don’t like
having strict plans while I travel, I would wake up in the morning, research
what I wanted to see in the day, memorize the way to get there with Google Maps
on my laptop, and then go. If you ever get to London, ask people on the street
for directions—for as big of a city and as busy of a city as London, everyone
on the street was incredibly nice and helpful. Even people working in
businesses will give directions if you’re really stuck. London is obviously a
huge tourist spot, so half the time, you’ll end up asking a tourist for
directions, anyway.
Because the streets were so familiar to me by the end of the
trip, I walked straight from the aparthotel to the Victoria Coach Station at
6:00 in the morning on October 19. I took my bus back to Stansted, waited
around at the airport for a few hours (better two hours early than one minute
late), and flew back here to Norway. It really was a great trip, and I think I’m
starting to get the hang of traveling (and maybe even a touch of the “travel-bug”).
No comments:
Post a Comment