It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, and I know I
should be more on the ball, telling you people about my adventures. About two
weeks ago, my students (about 70 of them) turned in their first papers for my
Composition 110 class. I graded them all in about a week and a half to the
surprise of my colleagues, since it normally takes longer for Composition
teachers to get through a round of papers. It was a lot of late nights in the
office, and by the time I was done, I really didn’t feel like sitting down and
posting a blog.
Last night, the ACN staff had a Thursday get-together, like
an end-of-the-week dinner to kind of decompress and de-stress from the week. As
we were talking, we started talking about languages and how each of us sitting
around the table knew different languages. That’s something you really don’t
see in the United States, a table full of language-speakers (and no, not the
languages offered in high schools like German, Spanish, or French).
My boss is American, but she studied in Norway during
college, so she picked up Norwegian and is now fluent in it. Another person at
the table was raised in Holland, but he attended American schools there, so he
speaks English like anyone off the street; however, he also knows a little
Dutch, I think he said, and he also speaks Norwegian pretty well. I took four
years of German in high school, then another two semesters in college; I also
took three semesters of Norwegian at UND and tested out of the four Norwegian
class I was required to take. Of all the people at the table, one colleague
didn’t speak Norwegian at all, but he really surprised me when he pulled out
his reading glasses in an Indian restaurant and started reading the
inscriptions that were painted along the walls.
I guess I never realized how multicultural Europe was until
I got here. I mean, I did have some inkling as to the diversity of the place,
being there are so many countries, so many cultures, and so many languages all
jammed together in one place—it’s something you learn in school, but you really
need to experience firsthand.
I’ve been speaking Norwegian to some of my students at the
beginning of class and in the hallways here and there. It seems very
challenging but very rewarding to speak with students more than anyone walking
down the street. First off, I already know the students, and through their
papers, I get to know more about them, so it’s very comfortable talking with
them. It’s pretty daunting, however, because when I speak Norwegian to them
before class and say something as I’ve always said it, they laugh. I asked if
my pronunciation was wrong, or if I was inflecting the wrong parts of certain
words, but they replied, “No…we just don’t expect
it from you. It’s always surprising when it comes from you, because we know you’re
American.”
Whenever I speak with students in Norwegian, they’re always
very excited to teach me new vocabulary (but I’m surprised that they haven’t
gone straight for the bad words). Every
conversation in Norwegian ends up with me asking about linguistics questions (“So
the –st ending on vennlig makes it an adverbial?”)—and then
our conversations boil down to different dialects of Norwegian language.
Norwegian has a slew
of different dialects, and the problem with them is that two people with
different dialects can both be speaking Norwegian and not understand each other. We have a few people from Bergen, a
larger city on the western side of the country, and people from around this
area near Oslo can hardly understand them because of their dialect. Because
there’s such a long coastline here, you could almost imagine that every little
fjord along Norway’s coast could possibly have its own specific dialect—and people
have claimed that by studying Norwegian dialects, we could actually pinpoint
where in Norway a person originated. I’m sure there are linguists that study
that with English, as well, though I don’t know the real term for it, but in all, I think it’s really interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment