Today I
haven’t really done much. On Friday, my first
first day off for the weekend, I packed up my laptop with the intention of
going down to the school and working on my thesis for most of the day. Instead,
the other instructor from UND who came to ACN for the semester, Burt, called.
He mentioned during the week that he wanted to see if an old walking path was
still there on the island, so we set out to find it at about 10:00 A.M. On the
way to the canal, we stopped quickly at the mall for water to take with us, and
then we began our hike.
We
walked from the mall down to the canal, across the bridge, and along the
shoreline until we ran out of walking path. Knowing that it was there
somewhere, we checked a roadside map, backtracked up near some apartment
complexes, and eventually found the path.
Now,
from what he’d said earlier, I thought this was going to be a walking path that
was sandy and beach-like, since he did say that it followed the shoreline.
Where we went instead was far more
exciting to me. As a flat-lander from North Dakota, I’ve never really been in a
dense forest before, the kind of forest where the sun is blocked out from the
tree canopy overhead. This
was that forest. It was incredible to walk through, to look at all the
undergrowth, to even look at the roots sticking out of the path, itself. I need
to find more hiking spots when I get back home (preferably in the forest
somewhere).
During
our trek, we went to two small towns, Alby and Rød (though I don’t know
that many people even lived in either one—for Williston people, think of
Epping/Springbrook, just outside of Williston with very few people living
there). Alby had a teeny little museum, but we didn’t go through it—walking was
the main goal of the day. We did go through the Naturhus in Alby, just to see
what it was. There was also a café in there, as well—you could get a full meal,
then sit in the normal seating area or
take a blanket from inside the café and sit on the lawn to have your snack! I
thought that was a neat idea.
By the time we got to Rød,
it was already almost 1:00 P.M. Also by the time we got to Rød, we were
starting to feel very tired and a little hungry. There wasn’t a whole lot to
see there, except that we stumbled across what looked like an artist community
where there was a ceramic shop and a guitar-maker shop (which I may have to
find again to take pictures for Kellen). Again, we were both pretty fatigued
after walking for three solid hours, so we headed back for Moss.
Once we got to the top
of the big hill on the island, we made our way back down to the canal where we
stopped and had a quick bite in a café Burt said was good and reasonably
priced. I had a cup of coffee and a croissant sandwich, and I was good to go
again. I think we made it back to ACN around 2:00 or 2:30, and then it was time
for a shower and a nap.
Friday night, I met two
Norwegians who are from Moss at a new Italian place just south of ACN. We had a
great conversation about education, as one of them studied education and
pedagogy in the U.K. I ordered a half-calzone half-pizza (so they basically
made a pizza and flipped one side over onto itself). First off, one can never
go wrong with pizza. Second, this pizza was very, very good—the Norwegians said that this was authentic Italian food. I responded with a prayer to God in thanks
for Italy (and pizza).
For the rest of the
weekend, I haven’t done much, although I did take a hike up into the hills
above ACN on Saturday evening. There’s a path that leads back into some of the
hills, and I was immediately enthralled with the promise of another forest
hike. Nay, this wasn’t as good as the Alby/Rød adventure, simply because much
of the forest above the school has been cut down to pave the way for a
half-dozen apartment buildings. Ah, progress. Still, it was a neat trip, and I
even went up there again today to take some pictures.
In all, I’d say that’s
a successful weekend: explore the countryside, dine with the locals, and
explore the countryside even more.
Adventuring! That picnic-cafe does sound pretty nifty :)
ReplyDelete